Clinical Research in Latin America
Historically, most clinical research has been concentrated in developed nations. This trend is obvious from the geographical distribution of clinical research publications.
Most of the publications and the research itself, come from North America and Western Europe.
Nevertheless, the presence of clinical research in Latin America growing steadily in the last decade, mainly because of cost effectiveness, excellent patient recruitment and the emergence of FDA approved regulatory agencies.
Cohortias - Full Service Clinical Research Organization based in Latin America
Cohortias has built a broad network of sites, physicians, investigators and regulatory experts across the Latin American region. This peer-to-peer model allows us to expedite our clinical trial services from the start-up phases all the way to the study termination.
Our experience in the region enables us to understand and comply with local regulations, customs, and language differences and to efficiently work with the culture and the medical practices in each country of the region.
Cohortias ensures superior trial compliance and expeditious patient enrolment. Our local footprint also enables us to provide sound advice to our clients on how to prevent difficulties and delays in the implementation and development of the trials.
The Potential of LATAM
- There are huge financial gains associated with conducting clinical research in Latin America, with up to 50% lower costs when compared to the USA.
- This is in part because of the materials and actual cost of location for LATAM research centers are less expensive and does not compromise standard-of-care or data validity.
- With a population of 600M+, LATAM is one of the less exploited regions for patient recruitment when compared with saturated major centers in the USA and Europe.
- The lack of clinical trials and the strong bond between patients and physicians, make Latin America fertile ground for patient recruitment and retention.
- During the last decade most of Latin American countries have opened agencies and adopted new regulations that adhere to the FDA’s international standards.
- That is why it is crucial to have a local CRO with the expertise to navigate this changing landscape, and locally-based teams with staff who speak the language, which can save a lot of time during the study start-up phase.
Why Latin America?
Several factors contribute to Latin America being a region of choice to conduct your clinical trials:
Compliance & Retention
Lack of Language Barrier
The Need of a Local CRO
Continued consolidation in the industry by global CROs has made this need more apparent and even more acute.
Working with large global CROs, with inflexible one-size-fits-all procedures, global blended rates and disregard of local/regional idiosyncrasies, drug development companies are not able to fully unlock the tremendous potential that Latin America can offer.
As a local based CRO, Cohortias fills this gap providing development companies, as well as other CROs, the opportunity to work with a credible regional niche CRO provider in Latin America.
As part of the region, we are able to more efficiently contribute to international clinical development programs, both in terms of recruitment and quality, whilst simultaneously offering key benefits of Latin America, such as; low costs and fast timelines.